Thursday, April 5, 2012
Amazing Clam Bake
1 tbs olive oil
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 lb kielbasa sausage, sliced into 1-inch rounds
1 1/2 lbs baby potatoes, halved with skin
11/2 cups white wine, dry
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
2 lbs clams, soaked in ice water with a handful of flour or cornmeal and then rinsed well
1 large lemon, quartered
1. Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over high heat.
2. Add sliced onion and cook until it starts to brown, stirring frequently.
3. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add potatoes, kielbasa, wine, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
5. Cover pot with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are half cooked.
6. Add mussels and clams, toss and combine, cover pot and cook, shaking the pot occasionally, until clams and mussels have opened.
7. Transfer to serving bowls with the broth and serve with lemon quarters.
Note: Make sure to discard any mussels or clams with unopened shells.